the wonderful world of veena.

29 November 2012

30 thursdays: 30 thankfuls.


Well this should have been perfect timing. November has 30 days, I have a list of 30 things for which I am thankful, and Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday. That's one of those win-win-win situations I'm always going on about. [except that I didn't have Internet access on Thanksgiving, so it's being posted the following Thursday instead. please accept my apologies and bear with me, I'm working on Indian Stretchable Time these days]

Sometimes it's very easy to get bogged down in the nitty-gritty of every day problems and hiccups and to forget to be thankful for all I've been blessed with. One of my favourite memories of my Jamaica trips is going around the table and talking about all the things we are thankful for. Our initial group took to it so much that we continued to meet once a week for lunch through the spring, partly for the companionship and also partly so we remembered to pause and reflect during such a hectic time. Since then, whenever I feel myself getting stressed out or irritable or annoyed, I try to remember all the good things I have in my life to keep things in perspective. The below list is definitely not complete, but it's a start.

30 thankfuls:
[I am thankful for...]
  1. a family that always supports and encourages me in everything I do.
  2. a great network of friends around the world who are always there for me, no matter what [especially these past 2 weeks while I've been homeless in Bombay. for real, I'm not sure what I would have done without them].
  3. all of my adopted families who have fed me, housed me, clothed me, and generally taken care of me over the years.
  4. the best group of big brothers a girl could ever hope for.
  5. the opportunity to travel and see the world.
  6. having the freedom to complete my degree from anywhere I choose.
  7. the tranquility of the sea.
  8. the peace of the hills.
  9. the healing power of laughter.
  10. impulsive road trips.
  11. random emails or text messages that brighten your day.
  12. the beauty of sleep.
  13. non-sketchy auto drivers [trust me, when you live in India, these are the things you come to appreciate. Bangalore, you guys could learn a thing or two from these Bombay drivers].
  14. the energy created by live music.
  15. random acts of kindness.
  16. getting lost in a book.
  17. my childhood.
  18. all of my physical abilities.
  19. my education.
  20. the feeling of a child falling asleep in your arms.
  21. Saturdays spent watching college football.
  22. playing in the rain.
  23. technology. I sometimes hate how reliant I am on it, but I still appreciate it.
  24. crisp fall weather and watching the leaves change colour.
  25. long runs that clear the mind.
  26. bunking school or work to spend the day watching March Madness.
  27. sports movies.
  28. opportunities and adventures of all kinds.
  29. aimless wanderings with good friends.
  30. food, water, shelter, and clothing.
What are you thankful for?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment