the wonderful world of veena.

01 October 2014

veen on the road: belle isle.

After a long day of sightseeing and touring historical homes, a visit to Belle Isle was exactly what I was in the mood for to wrap up my last day in Richmond. Godbold had suggested it to me at dinner a few nights earlier, and I'm so glad I listened to her.

Belle Isle is part of the James River Park System in Richmond and is an oasis in the middle of the city. According to the internets, the easiest way to get there is via a pedestrian bridge, but I decided to be different and drove across the river, parked in the lot, and took the trail down. It was a nice little jaunt, and I of course loved taking off my shoes and walking across all the boulders.

[hello, belle isle]
[abandoned boxcars on the railroad. loved those murals. also, i am now weirdly motivated to re-visit the boxcar children series of books...]
I found myself a nice little spot to settle down, and I made myself comfortable with my book and a snack. I stayed out there for a little over an hour and read and people-watched -- with it being late July, there were a number of teenagers and college kids out there sunbathing, hanging out, and partaking in recreational activities; there were also a few families as well as a handful of couples, but for the most part it was pretty quiet around me and I thoroughly enjoyed myself on this late afternoon expedition.

[view of the lee bridge from my reading spot]
[thank you, belle isle, for nicely wrapping up my visit to richmond]
Thank you, Godbold, for the suggestion; it was the perfect way to wrap up my time in Richmond.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment