the wonderful world of veena.

27 November 2014

a day for giving thanks.

Every few years I remember to post a list of the things I am thankful for on here, and in reading my list from two years ago, many of them are still the same. I am one lucky lady, with family and friends who love and support me, opportunities for travel and adventure around every corner, and the ability to follow my dreams, wherever they may take me.

I have been reminded of just how thankful I am in the last few months. After many months of unemployment and uncertainty as to when that would change, I was offered a wonderful opportunity in Bangalore, one of my beloved home cities. During those in-between months, I was lucky enough to have a home with my parents, to have various part-time jobs, and to have the opportunity to take off on a pretty awesome 5-week road trip. I was able to visit friends near and far, to play both tourist and tour guide, and to explore this great city of Memphis. While there were days I didn't leave my house - or sometimes even change out of my pajamas - I always knew how lucky I was, despite lamenting my lack of work. I had a home, I had shelter, and I had all the little luxuries I have become accustomed to.

I am also extremely thankful for community. I have been blessed beyond measure when it comes to my friends, and I can boast that I literally have friends all over the world. They have always been supportive and encouraging, and during my time in Memphis, I have leaned on my friends when I've felt down or uninspired. It has been great being a part of this community again, and I will be eternally grateful for the time I've had with all of my friends here.

Life is always going to have its ups and downs, but taking time to remember how lucky we are helps us keep perspective. While we in the States [and our friends north of the border] have a day set aside for giving thanks, it really is one of those things that should be part of our daily lives. I am not always great about it, but I try to take 5 minutes before I go to bed to remind myself how lucky I am and how many things I have to be thankful for.

I hope all of you out there had a wonderful day full of my ultimate trifecta: family, food, and football.

Regardless of where you are in the world, remember to give thanks.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment